Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Late April- May 13 bass fishing report

The past few weeks have been good to me fishing wise.  I have been catching them on Zoom baby brush hogs, Zoom 6 inch lizards, Zoom super flukes, Go 2 Baits 7 inch shaky worm, Strike King KVD 1.5 squarebill crankbaits, Hoppy's Lures 1/4 ounce jigs, and Academy brand spinnerbaits in 1/2 ounce white/chart. double willow spinnerbaits.

I went to an isolated bank fishing spot that not even most of the locals know about.  It is about a 10 minute hike down there from where I get dropped off at. The first day I went there I threw out once with a watermelon red texas rigged zoom lizard and caught a super chunky largemouth within the first minute of fishing. How many times does that happen when you are bass fishing? I proceded to catch 4 more in an hours time, but it seemed to have slowed down. Just then the fish started schooling and I picked up my rod with a weightless rigged super fluke and caught them one after another. I only caught 17 that day because I went through a pack of flukes in about 30 minutes. I decided that I was not going to run out next time so I bought 6 packs at the next Academy trip. The details of this trip was a 3/16 ounce bullet weight with a 4/0 gamakatsu EWG worm hook on it for the lizard. For the fluke I just tied a 4/0 EWG gamakatsu worm hook on my flurocarbon line.



The next trip was with my buddy on his boat. We caught 9 keeper crappie on crappie magnets and we decided to bass fish a bit. I picked up my Hoppy's lures flea flicker in black/blue. The day before I had super glued a black/blue paca chunk trailer on the jig. I got that familiar tink, tink, tink with the weight on my line and I swung away. When the fish jumped I called for the net seeing it was a smallie. It was 18 inches long and it weighed 2.5 pounds.

The next trip was on my jon boat. We didn't have a motor for it so I had to use a trolling motor and I even paddled a few hundred yards. I also got out and pushed the boat so we wouldn't use all out battery power. I decided that I was going to learn to use a spinnerbait so thats what I started using. I hung 7 nice ones on it before the day was over. The biggest was about 3 pounds. I threw the bait on 15 pound mono and on a H2O Express 7 foot MH Ethos rod with an Abu Garcia silver max reel in 6:4:1 gear ratio. The bait itself was a 1/2 ounce H2O Express 1/2 ounce small profile in white/chart. with double willows. I threw to cover (Chunk rocks and laydowns) and banged it off the cover. When I was done fishing the cover I would burn it back in trying to draw a reaction bite. I even threw my arsenal on plastics, including a Go 2 Baits shaky worm in 7 inch and 4.5 inch, a carolina rigged lizard, a texas rigged lizard and baby brush hog, and a Hoppy's flea flicker jig. Spinnerbaits outfished bottom hugging baits tremendously that day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment