Sunday, March 2, 2014

Lure Review: Rapala shad rap

I am doing another lure review about the Rapala shad Rap. Just about everybody has one tied on on Percy Priest lake in the fall. The shad rap 5 is personally my favorite bait to use in the fall. These baits have a tight wiggle and they work best in colder water. My favorite color for the fall is the shad color. In the spring my favorites is the crawfish and bluegill color, although all colors work.  The size 5 is my favorite to catch a quick limit. After I catch my limit I will normally come back with a jig in fall or winter, and a lizard in the spring.  I normally throw these on a spinning rod with 8 pound test fluorocarbon. These baits are $6-$9 most places, but they will last you at least a season. I like the normal size bill and the shallow size bill depending on the depth the fish are at. These baits are made of balsa wood so they  naturally float. Because of the balsa wood they don't have a rattle so they work in heavily pressured areas. The paint jobs on the shad raps are super realistic in the craw, shad, and bluegill colors.  They make them in size 7, which also has the same action, but the size 5 is my personal favorite.


This is a lure I highly recommend for cold water situations.  You also need to bring a plug knocker with you because you will not want to break off this a $8 lure! Buy this lure and fish it and you will not be disappointed!




                                        The first pic is of the shad color. The second pic is of the bluegill color. The last pic is of the crawfish color.







No comments:

Post a Comment