Monday, October 14, 2013

Soft Plastic Colors and Styles

My Favorite color for soft plastics on J Percy Priest Lake is Green Pumpkin. That because the water visibility is usually 2-5 feet. If you were going to fish clearer water than that I would use Watermelon or Watermelon red. If I were fishing water visibility that was 0-2 feet I would use Junebug or Black. That is for soft plastics that are being hoped up of the bottom and crawled through the rocks. For a soft plastic that is imitating a baitfish I like white or any baitfish pattern.


     There are many styles of soft plastics, but I break them down into 4 styles. The first is a worm. It is more that likely that a bass has never seen a live worm in his/her life. But for some reason they strike them. I like fishing a 10 inch worm for bass in the summer. My all around favorite worm to fish year round is a shaky head worm.  The second is a creature bait. A creature bait is just that, a creature. Some baits nobody knows what they look like, but some look like lizards. Others just look like a mix between a lizard, craw, snake, bluegill, and other things. My favorite bait for flipping is a beaver style bait. Any creature bait is good for bed fishing. All you have to do is annoy a nest guarding bass just enough, and he will crush it.  The third is a craw bait. These are effective any times of the year, Texas rigged and as jig trailers. The last is a fluke style bait. Fluke Style baits mimic shad and other baitfish. I love to fish these in the fall.



          The first picture is the colors. Starting from the left is Green Pumpkin, Watermelon Red, Black, Junebug, and a baitfish pattern. The second picture is all the different style soft plastic worms I have. The third picture is the vast variety of creature baits out on the market. The fourth picture is some of the craw type baits I have. The last picture is some fluke style baits.







No comments:

Post a Comment